The campaign to build the National Museum of the Surface Navy at the Battleship IOWA is being spearheaded by the Pacific Battleship Center, a 501c3 non-profit organization founded in 2008. The Pacific Battleship Center team led the efforts to save, refurbish, establish, and grow the Battleship IOWA Museum into a top Los Angeles attraction and the #2 ship museum in the nation. In 2019, the U.S. Navy licensed the National Museum of the Surface Navy name to the Pacific Battleship Center to build this one of a kind museum aboard Battleship IOWA in Los Angeles.
2012: Battleship IOWA is donated to the Pacific Battleship Center, a 501c3 non-profit organization for placement on the Los Angeles Waterfront.
2015: Battleship IOWA becomes home to Los Angeles Fleet Week, the largest Labor Day event in the L.A. area.
2019: Pacific Battleship Center secures the rights to build the National Museum of the Surface Navy from the U.S. Navy.
2020: The team finalizes the campaign package and initiates the quiet phase of raising $60m in funding.
2021-2025: Efforts to secure sponsorship for phase 0 and museum, galleries, experiences, and exhibits.
2023: Initiate detailed design process for galleries, experiences, and exhibits.
2024: Initiate construction of museum.
2025: Open Phase 1 of the museum.
The Pacific Battleship Center currently operates programs at the Battleship IOWA Museum with a focus on education, veterans, and community.
- The annual operating budget for the Pacific Battleship Center dba Battleship IOWA Museum during non-pandemic times is $4.5 million annually.
- The operating budget will be increased by $4 million annually to accommodate the opening of the National Museum of the Surface Navy.
- The Battleship IOWA Museum staff is fully committed to the transition and is performing split duties in their roles with the Pacific Battleship Center.
- Earned revenue (admissions, events, overnights, retail, food & beverage, etc.) is expected to make up $6 million of the annual budget.
- Costs are allocated according to associated program or category.
- We invite you to review our annual 990 tax returns and/or our audited financials at https://www.pacificbattleship.com/our-story/financial-information/.
This museum is a community effort that will require all hands (civilians and veterans) on deck.
How can you help?
- Sign up to be a Plank Owner.
- Contribute (cash, in-kind, stock, real estate, planned giving, etc.)
- Become a volunteer.
- Spread the word by encouraging your friends to become Plank Owners.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Have an idea? Let us know!
WANT TO RECEIVE UPDATES?
All you need to do is become a Plank Owner for FREE and receive the following benefits:
- Regular e-updates on the museum.
- Memorialize your or a loved ones service in our Quarterdeck of Honor.
- A commemorative Plank Owner certificate customized with your name.
- Donate and receive even more!