BATTLESHIP USS IOWA / LOS ANGELES
Photo credit: Port of Los Angeles
ARTIFACT 1: BATTLESHIP USS IOWA
Battleship USS Iowa is an iconic Surface Navy ship recognized for its innovation and as an engineering marvel. The leadership team of the Pacific Battleship Center spearheaded the efforts to save, refurbish, and establish as a top 5 museum and attraction in Los Angeles since opening in 2012.
- The ship was donated to the Pacific Battleship Center, a top-rated 501c3 non-profit, in 2012 and opened shortly thereafter at the LA Waterfront.
- Pacific Battleship Center is the organization the U.S. Navy licensed the National Museum of the Surface Navy to.
- The Battleship IOWA Museum is rated by USA Today as the #2 ship museum and is a top 5 museum and attraction in Los Angeles.
- The ship is also home to LA Fleet Week, one of the premiere Fleet Week’s in the United States.
- The Pacific Battleship Center team is considered an innovator in maintenance and preservation using techniques such as waterline maintenance, refurbishment, and conversion.
- The museum is home to Lost at Sea with Dr. Bob Ballard, an immersive technology intensive museum exhibit built on 3rd deck of the ship.
- Building the museum on the ship allows us to leverage existing infrastructure and the in-situ environment with reduced regulatory requirements in comparison to a new shoreside structure.
- The Pacific Battleship Center has an established reputation as a top-rated charity with an annual budget of $4.5 million +/-.
- The teams experience coupled with an existing museum allows us to accelerate the process to build the National Museum of the Surface Navy.
WHY LOS ANGELES?
WHY LOS ANGELES
Los Angeles has deep ties to the U.S. Navy and the Surface Fleet. The National Museum of the Surface Navy at the Battleship IOWA will educate the public on the importance of the Surface Navy in one of the most visited cities in the world.
- Los Angeles is home to America’s Port, the Port of Los Angeles. The Port of Los Angeles and national commerce are direct beneficiaries of Freedom of the Seas and the Surface Navy.
- The combined port complex handles more containers per ship than any other port in the world.
- The area is historic home to the Pacific Fleet prior to WWII, as well as Long Beach Naval Base & Shipyard. The area has been nicknamed “Battleship Country”.
- Los Angeles welcome more than 50 million visitors annually.
- The annual LA Fleet Week over Labor Day weekend has become the largest event in Los Angeles area.
There is no better place then the Battleship IOWA Museum in Los Angeles to educated the public on the importance of the Surface Navy!
This museum is a community effort that will require all hands (civilians and veterans) on deck.
How can you help?
- Sign up to be a Plank Owner.
- Contribute (cash, in-kind, stock, real estate, planned giving, etc.)
- Become a volunteer.
- Spread the word.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Have an idea? Let us know!
WANT TO RECEIVE UPDATES?
All you need to do is become a Plank Owner for FREE and receive the following benefits:
- Regular e-updates on the museum.
- Memorialize your or a loved ones service in our Quarterdeck of Honor.
- A commemorative Plank Owner certificate customized with your name.
- Donate and receive even more!
ADDRESS / PHONE
Pacific Battleship Center dba
National Museum of the Surface Navy
250 S. Harbor Blvd.
San Pedro, CA 90731
Phone: 877-446-9261 ext. 747
Pacific Battleship Center is a highly rated 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in Los Angeles, CA. Currently the organization operated the Battleship IOWA Museum as a top 5 attraction in Los Angeles. More information at https://surfacenavymuseum.org/about-us/.