HOW TO GET INVOLVED
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
The campaign to build the National Museum of the Surface Navy at the Battleship IOWA is being spearheaded by the Pacific Battleship Center, a 501c3 non-profit organization founded in 2008. The Pacific Battleship Center family (boards, crew, and supporters) led the efforts to save, refurbish, establish, and grow the Battleship IOWA Museum into a top Los Angeles attraction and the #2 ship museum in the nation. This same family is proudly leading the efforts for the National Museum of the Surface Navy and the Battleship IOWA’s role as artifact #1 of the new museum.
When we say family, we say it with passion and meaning. Volunteerism is in the DNA of the organization with the majority of the crew of today’s museum proudly volunteering on a regular basis to preserve, restore, and display the ship. Crew members are eagerly transitioning the organization and its efforts to focus on a National level with an enormous supporter community cheering them on. Supporters and donors have been the fuel behind the effort and motivating to the crew to accomplish amazing objectives in a short period of time. In the first 8 years, this family restored a Battleship, opened a top 5 museum and attraction, established a premiere Fleet Week, built innovative exhibits including Lost at Sea with Dr. Bob Ballard, and implemented comprehensive maintenance protocols. Since 2019, this same family licensed the National Museum of the Surface Navy from the U.S. Navy, created a campaign plan and associated collateral, launched the campaign, fought off the effects of the pandemic, and innovated new ways to connect with a broader audience. There is no doubt that being part of the Pacific Battleship Center / Battleship IOWA / National Museum of the Surface Navy family is challenging, exciting, and simply rewarding.
How can you get involved?
FOLLOW US AND SHARE
VOLUNTEERS ARE CRITICAL
Volunteerism is in our DNA and we are proud to say that we have volunteers in every department of the museum. Volunteers come from all walks of life including active military, veterans, law enforcement, professional services, construction, students, maritime, marketing, technology, accounting, and many more. On any given day you may find a volunteer working on architectural drawings, restoring the wood decks, repairing plumbing, information technology, analyzing the budget, giving tours, providing security, sending mailings, raising flags, fundraising, and simply enjoying their time with like minded individuals. Regardless of location across the world, volunteers are valued and part of the family ultimately coming together as part of a family to strengthen our community and honor those who serve(d).
A few highlights of our volunteer crew:
- 36% are military / veterans.
- Average over 60,000 volunteer hours annually.
- All of the board(s) are volunteers.
- Volunteers exist in every department.
- We have volunteer supervisors and management.
- Volunteer opportunities exist at the museum, in your workplace, or at home.
Become a volunteer today and bring your time, talent, and skill to further the museum effort!
DONOR AND IN-KIND PROGRAMS
Our Donor, Volunteer, and In-Kind programs are designed to provide benefit to all that participate. Beginning in 2021, all donations of funds, hours, product, etc. count towards your associated benefits level with the yet to be released “Haze Gray” program. Haze Gray is a points based benefits program designed to ensure that all members of the Pacific Battleship Center / Surface Navy Museum / Battleship IOWA Museum receive recognition for their support and contributions. The Haze Gray program is due to be released by mid-2021 and is designed to replace a traditional membership program.
We are the Museum for America’s Surface Navy. The US Navy was founded in 1775 with two frigates and a small cadre of officers and sailors. Today, America’s Surface Navy is as important as ever and sails the world’s oceans ensuring security, democracy, and prosperity for the American people and the world. Founded aboard Battleship IOWA in Los Angeles, the National Museum of the Surface Navy is planned to open in 2025.
The National Museum of the Surface Navy is part of the Pacific Battleship Center, a 501c3 non-profit organization. Our tax ID is 26-3934742.
DONATE VIA PHONE OR MAIL
Call anytime and meet our Development Team. You can call or mail in a donation if you prefer.
Phone: 877-446-9261 ext. 747
Mail: National Museum of the Surface Navy
250 S. Harbor Blvd.
San Pedro, CA 90731
Memorialize your support of the Surface Navy Museum by registering for a digital Plank Owner certificate for free! All donations of $25 and above will permanently memorialize your or a loved one’s service in the Quarterdeck of Honor in the Museum aboard Battleship USS Iowa.
IN-KIND / PRO-BONO
We feel that in-kind and pro-bono support is as critical as a donation today. Donated good and services helps by reduced the burden on general funds while fulfilling the needs of the day to day organization.
Examples of in-kind and pro-bono services in the past:
- Labor to perform construction related work.
- Professional services such as legal, accounting, coaching, consulting, architectural, engineering, design, graphics, website, Salesforce, IT, etc.
- Maintenance items such as tools, paint, electrical, wiring, wood, fencing, tents, etc.
- Marketing such as strategy, printing, graphic design, advertising, etc.
- IT items as switches, cameras, antennas, computers, monitors, printers, copiers, software, etc.
- Administrative items such as furniture and office products.
- Other items such as lighting, displays, banners, canvas awnings, flags, life rings, tents, etc.
Are you interested in offering in-kind or pro-bono products or services? Contact us today at email@example.com.
MAJOR GIFTS AND NAMING PROGRAMS
Major gift and naming programs provide the donor / sponsor an opportunity to support the Surface Navy museum community, recognize a loved one who served, create a lasting legacy, and become an important part of the museums future. Opportunities including sponsorship of experiences, galleries, exhibits, spaces, events, programs, and staff are available. Interested in our major gifts and naming programs? Contact Jonathan Williams or Joleen Deatherage at 877-446-9261 ext. 747 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each dollar we receive from your vehicle donation enables us to further our non-profit mission with the Pacific Battleship Center / National Museum of the Surface Navy / Battleship IOWA. The car that you donate will sell for a certain amount. Your tax deductible amount may not exceed the amount of the sale price listed. If your tax identification number is provided at intake, an IRS 1098C form will be included. If you do not provide your tax identification number at the time of your donation, please contact our office for more information at 855-500-7433. You should consult your tax advisor if you have any tax questions, or visit the IRS website.
Visionary donors can honor their legacy or the legacy of a loved one through a planning giving estate plan. We understand these important decisions are unique to every individual and family. Therefore we offer an array of planned giving opportunities to secure their family’s legacy, while supporting the National Museum of the Surface Navy at the Battleship IOWA. These legacy gifts can provide significant tax benefits, income for retirement and the benefits of being part of the Pacific Battleship Center dba National Museum of the Surface Navy family
- Retirement Accounts. Donate from your retirement account annually by donating the Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) to the Pacific Battleship Center, making it 100% tax free if transferring from the IRA account to the 501(c)(3) recipient. You can also name the Pacific Battleship Center to receive all or a percentage of the unused balance of a retirement account by requesting a beneficiary designation form from your financial institution with our information found below.
- Wills & Bequests. You can make a bequest to Pacific Battleship Center dba National Museum of the Surface Navy by designating a specific sum of money, a percentage of your estate, or the remainder of your estate after other beneficiaries receive the portion you designate. Through a contingent bequest, you can make our organization the beneficiary of your estate if your spouse or other beneficiary passes away before you. You can also create a charitable trust through your will that will benefit individuals you choose during their lifetimes with the remainder after they die passing to Pacific Battleship Center. While you receive no immediate tax benefits from a bequest, every dollar contributed is deductible for estate tax purposes, relieving your spouse and loved ones of added estate tax burdens.
- Life Insurance. To make a gift of life insurance, you can name our organization the beneficiary of all, or a portion, of the proceeds of your policy or you can transfer ownership of the policy to the organization outright. When you donate your life insurance policy you may be able to claim an immediate income tax deduction for the current value of the policy and you may be able to deduct your future premium payments.
- Charitable Remainder Trusts. Charitable remainder trusts are created by transferring assets to a trust, which then provides income to your spouse, children, a friend, or even yourself over a period of time. After that period, the principal passes to the Pacific Battleship Center. Please consult with your tax professional for more information on the associated tax benefits.
- Charitable Lead Trusts. Charitable remainder trusts are created by transferring assets to a trust, which then provides income to your spouse, children, a friend, or even yourself over a period of time. After that period, the principal passes to the Pacific Battleship Center. Please consult with your tax professional for more information on the associated tax benefits.
- Charitable Gift Annuities (CGAs). CGAs are an attractive giving option for many of our supporters who are 55 and older because they enable contributors to maintain income needed for living expenses after retirement and fulfill their desire to support the Pacific Battleship Center. Please consult with your tax professional for more information on the associated tax benefits.
Please consult your tax professional for more information.
Click here for more information, benefits, and how to designate the museum.Learn More
This museum is a community effort that will require all hands (civilians and veterans) on deck.
How can you help?
- Sign up to be a Plank Owner.
- Contribute (cash, in-kind, stock, real estate, planned giving, etc.)
- Become a volunteer.
- Spread the word.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Have an idea? Let us know!
WANT TO RECEIVE UPDATES?
All you need to do is become a Plank Owner for FREE and receive the following benefits:
- Regular e-updates on the museum.
- Memorialize your service or a loved one's in our Quarterdeck of Honor.
- A commemorative Plank Owner certificate customized with your name.
- Donate and receive even more!
ADDRESS / PHONE
Pacific Battleship Center dba
National Museum of the Surface Navy
250 S. Harbor Blvd.
San Pedro, CA 90731
Phone: 877-446-9261 ext. 747
Pacific Battleship Center is a highly rated 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in Los Angeles, CA. Currently the organization operated the Battleship IOWA Museum as a top 5 attraction in Los Angeles. More information at https://surfacenavymuseum.org/about-us/.